Thursday, August 7, 2014

Regan Family News Vol 1 #8 and Reunion Review

Here is the link to RFN Vol 1 #8 December 1962

Please check on Contact above and update your contact information

Well, I certainly enjoyed Reunion Weekend and it seemed like I wasn't alone. I noticed that everyone had a busy weekend visiting with many friends and family members and that our event was only a part of everyone's story. Very interesting! It was fun to watch so many people having a good time and enjoying each others company. Here is a link to my photos and Tom Farrell's photos. Enjoy!

I want to thank everyone - the Farrell clan for being such great hosts, the Mulherin boys for all getting together and making the journey to the Manor from out of state, The Regan girls for also travelling from points near and far, Sarah and Catherine Postier for making the journey from New Hampshire, and my two children who planned to participate many months in advance and who were so very happy to meet family members. And a late visit by Nancy and John Johnston really capped off a great day. A great effort all around, folks! Thanks again for making it a special day.

I don't know about you all, but I was fascinated while I watched the interaction of everyone present. I can't help but notice the resemblance all around. I thought it fun to sit around and watch family members talking and interacting. I really have those moments when I tilt my head and get that flash of recognition just watching everyone. I was really struck watching James Leddy and Roy Lotz standing next to each other and chatting. They're 2nd cousins once removed but they share a remarkable resemblance. Interesting..

Speaking of relationships, I was asked a few times "so, are we really related?" "And, how, exactly?"
I guess since I've been scouring the Regan Family News I've assumed the mantel of "family expert?" Well, I do understand the connections and maybe I can give a brief synopsis. It's all about our common ancestors, the subject of the RFN, and my grandparents, Peter and Nellie Regan. But how, you ask, are we related to each other? Well, here are some rules to follow...
  • Siblings share parents
  • Cousins share grandparents
  • Second cousins share great-grandparents etc.
  • When common ancestors are shared in a different hierarchy they're "removed"
So... 
  • Tom Regan was my cousin and Sarah Postier  and Vera Ann Farrell are my cousins because we share common grandparents - Peter and Nellie Regan. Likewise, the Farrell "kids",  the Mulherin "boys", and Catherine and Bill Postier are cousins, again because they share common grandparents - only in their case it's Vera and Roy Johnston.
  • The Regan "girls" are second cousins to the Farrells, Postiers and Mulherins because their common ancestors, Peter and Nellie, are their great-grandparents. In fact, the Leddy kids are second cousins to the Mulherins, Farrells, Postiers and Regans for the same reason.
  • And allow me to introduce myself to the Farrells, Regans, Postiers, and Mulherins, and answer your burning question - who is this guy? I am your cousin once removed! Your parents are my cousins and our common ancestors are your great-grandparents and my grandparents - the different hirearchy; hence, once removed. And to pick on Roy Lotz again: when Roy attended Stony Brook University, I had the pleasure of spotting my cousin twice removed around campus! Yep, his grandmother, Vera Ann is my cousin and our common ancestors are great-great-grandparents to him and grandparents to me: twice removed.
  • Finally, while there were great-great grandchildren of Peter and Nellie in attendance, were any of them third cousins? The Farrell grandchildren and the Mulherin grandchildren are seconds because they share common grandparents in Vera and Roy Johnston, and the Leddys and Postiers children have no kids yet. So that leaves the Regans. And if I'm not mistaken, there was a Regan great-great grandaughter in attendance. Forgive me for not recalling names and relationships exactly, but I do think we placed in the third cousin sweepstakes, so congratulations all around!
Whew, got that out of the way! Still confused? Well...me too! (I'm just wingin' it)

Now, onto the Regan Family News Vol 1 #8. Here's the link again so you don't have to scroll all the way back to the top of the page!

The highlights:

  • The first Christmas issue features something new: a beautiful cover drawn by Kitty Regan.
  • Ross' first Christmas greeting to the family
  • The Manhassett Regans stay busy
  • The Gundersens visit the Manor
  • John Regan in Clayton
  • Greg Mulherin discovers an "alligator"
  • Tom Regan's new road
  • Ross' continuing report on the Hollis Regans
  • There's information on Kitty Regan's family
  • And a great story from Brother Dan Regan. Dan talks about his German roots and wonders what prompted the immigration of the Regans to the US. He assumed it was related to the Famine, and think he was correct, but we know no more now than he wished to know then.
That's enough for now. I hope you get a chance to read the newsletter and take a look at the great photos! Happy rest of the summer to all!

No comments:

Post a Comment